Sunday, January 15, 2012

Slipping and sliding all the way…


Brrrrr...it was cold Saturday.  Charlie’s and my first hike went quite well…and neither one of us ended up with any frostbite.  Due to the 8 inches of snow they decided to take an alternate route that kept us on the roadway.  Although, with the frozen rain that collected before the snow fell I am not quite sure the trails would have been any more treacherous.  A few fellow hikers had a neat little item called a Yaktrax® Walker Snow & Ice traction device, that run about $25.00 a pair.  You just slip these over your shoes or boots and “BAM!” you’ve just turned your treads into snow tires.  Personally, I think the snow laden trails would have probably kept us from slipping and sliding just fine.  

We clocked onto the trail at 10:10am and headed south down Cherry Grove Road.   We turned east when we hit Peavine Road and trekked five miles down to just before Lindy’s Restaurant and then made a u-turn and headed back. 

I would be in trouble with Charlie if I didn’t state that he finished at 11:48am while I didn’t clock in until 11:52am.  I’ll have to remind him that it’s not a race.  The little stinker was 100 yards in front of me for the whole hike.  That’s what I get for stopping to take a picture…and the damn camera battery was dead anyhow.  I’ll have to remember to take a drive back down that way tomorrow after work.  There was an old red barn, tucked in behind some trees, that made me think of Lorie a couple of miles into the hike.

Afterwards, Charlie and I grabbed our sack lunches and sat by the big fireplace at the Student Resource Center and chatted about dogs, money and stuff.  You know, he really is developing into a pretty neat young man.  We’ll see how it goes next weekend.  Ever heard of an “Urban Hike”?  Not quite sure what that is…but maybe I’ll leave the Camo Bonnie Hat at home for this one...


No comments:

Post a Comment