Sunday, April 1, 2012

The 1/2 Marathon Hike at Dr. TK Lawless Park (13.1 miles)



Yesterday our hike was at Dr. TK Lawless Park located at 15122 Monkey Run Street in Vandalia, Michigan.  TK Lawless is an 820 acre nature park with miles of hiking, cross country skiing and mountain biking trails.  Many of the trails have a lake view and some have scenic lookout points.  

Over the past few years I have been out to TK Lawless Park a number of times with my friends to go camping, tubing, and sledding.  I have always had a lot of fun when I have been there so I was pretty excited about this hike.  Of course, when I told my friends last week that I was going to do a hike on the first Saturday of Spring Break they said I was “crazy”.  When I told them that it was going to be a ½ Marathon Hike…they all decided that I was insane…sometimes I wonder if maybe they’re right.  

 
We all met at the warming shack at 8:00am and hit the trail about 8:20am.  It was great to see everyone from the hiking group.  My dad said he thinks about 32 people showed up for the hike.  I really liked how this hike was all on trails and in the woods.  We saw a bunch of deer running across the fields at one point.  They were flying.  It was really cool.   

The trails were in pretty good shape even though we had a major down pour on Friday.  There were a few spots where it was pretty muddy.  But nothing that you couldn’t get through.  It was a little cooler and my dad got to try out his new waterproof jacket.  I should get mine in the mail next week.  He said it worked really good and kept him warm.  I was glad it didn’t rain.  I forgot to pack my rain gear and wasn’t in the mood to get wet.

 
 There was this one really cool dock that went way out into one of the lakes.  The view was really cool and the dock was constructed by Brandon Scott an Eagle Scout from Troop 572.  I thought that this was really neat because I am working on finishing my BSA Eagle Scout Application Packet right now with BSA Troop 579.


 


After the hike we got invited to have lunch at the Old Farm Bakery.  Mr. Janssen gave us directions and my dad went the wrong way.  I kept telling him we were supposed to be looking for a water tower and he was driving toward a cell tower.  We had to stop and ask directions…and finally got there.  It was worth it.  The food was good and my dad and I got the chance to talk to the rest of the members of the hiking club.  We had learned some valuable tips from the members.  It was a great hike and I can’t wait to see everyone again at our next hike.

Below are a few more pictures from our hike...be sure to checkout the Great Trail Snack suggestion...

 
Leaving the warming shack…

Into the woods we go…





A cool grove in the woods…

Dad’s picture for Mom.





Trail snack!!!

Link to Trail Map
@
Dr. TK Lawless Park





No comments:

Post a Comment