Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Up hill both ways...

Saturday, April 14, 2012 – Swiss Valley Hike



Ever wonder what goes on at ski resorts when all the snow melts?  Well, I’m not sure what the employees of Swiss Valley Ski & Snowboard Area, located in Jones, Michigan, were up to last Saturday morning…but I do know that I have developed a great respect for whomever cuts the grass on those hills. 



Unfortunately, Charlie wasn’t able to join me on today’s awesome hike…because he was busy setting new personal records while at a Track & Field Meet in Sturgis Michigan.  5:28 in the mile.  GREAT JOB CHARLIE!!!


We all met at the lodge for one of Coach Gunn’s informative lectures on stretching and core strength training.  We all got a good laugh when Coach Gunn decided to demonstrate the famous, and most important, hamstring stretch.  Then Coach sent us out to the trail with a reminder that today’s hike was a “character builder” and a “Fire Up!!!” cheer.


              


 I should have known something was up when I noticed all the veteran hikers started to grin as we headed over the first rise.  Then of course I saw the first sign…




       




   …followed shortly by the second.           

  
A nice congratulatory break before we headed down the last hill, for this round, into the woods…


BFR

The 7 miles through the woods were great.  There were lots of pretty views and gentle rolling hills.  The pebble stone (3 inch rock) path was a bit rough on the feet…but that was soon forgotten when I saw the BFR.  It looked like some giant had rolled up a pebble stone walkway into a big wad and tossed it into the woods.


And although the BFR (Big Flippin’ Rock) was really cool…the BFH (Big Flippin’ Hill) was not so much!!!

BFH



                      
The final push came when we exited the woods and I heard someone say, “Almost done…just one more run through the washboard”.  The second time up and down the slopes I really learned the value of switchbacks.
Afterwards a bunch of us stopped for a nice lunch at the Broadway Café in Cassopolis.  This was a great hike even with the rain in the morning.  Another lesson learned…need to trade in the cotton cargo pants for some hiking pants.  My new waterproof jacket kept my top dry but my pants were wet all day.  Wish we could do this one again…I am sure Charlie would like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment