Monday, February 27, 2012

Two Laps at Love Creek


I woke up Saturday morning and thought, “Boy, this hike is going to be tough.”  For the past week we’ve had good weather…and then two days ago winter decided to return…snow and all.   We didn’t have to drive to far for this cool hiking spot at Love Creek Park.  Coach Gunn reviewed some more information about gear and we watched a neat picture presentation about past trips to the Grand Canyon.   

After that Coach Gunn told us about the two hike options,  One was a 10 mile road hike, which was highly recommended, or we could hike the 5 miles of cross country skiing trails through the park.  At first I thought we should do the road hike…because I wanted to hike more than 5 miles…but my dad said we’ll just hike it twice.  So we manned up and chose the snowy trail through the woods.

Coach Gunn went with us on our first lap, with some others that wanted to hike the trails that day.  Our first lap took a little longer because Coach Gunn had to mark the trail with green paint markers in the snow as we went.  In some spots you couldn’t even tell the trail bridge apart from the pond. Everything was white.  It was pretty cool.

We finished the first lap and took a quick break to get a snack then headed back out on the trail.  Between the footprints and the trail markings we had no problem following the path.  There was one part where the deer tracks were on top of ours…kind of like they were walking the trails behind us the first time around.    When about halfway through my dad and I turned around and noticed that no one was following.  Even though doing the second gave me some cold, wet feet…it also gave me a real sense of accomplishment.  I was glad that my dad and I chose to hike the trail twice.  I really liked this hike and my dad and I are planning on coming back out here for one of our individual hikes when things warm up and start growing this spring.







No comments:

Post a Comment