Monday, May 7, 2012

Monday Morning Hike

Last night I was talking with Gerry, one of my buddies, about gear, one-man tents and such.  And he told me a story about how he was given the trail name of “Broken Arrow” when he was in the service.  He told me that I was welcome to use his mark when hiking so I could leave clues for my hiking partners on what trails to take when not hiking in a group.  I thanked him and thought to myself that I might try it, just for fun, but knowing that most of the trails we hike are very well marked I didn’t figure I’d use it much.  I should have taken the idea so lightly…as I found out during this morning’s hike. 

This morning, after dropping Charlie off at the bus stop, I headed up to Dowagiac and planned on hiking the 10k Roadrunner Trail.  It was raining when I started but cleared up within an hour.  About two-thirds of the way through the trail I decided to take a well-worn deer path that I had come across…I figured I might be able to add a mile or two to the course…and thought that this might be a neat opportunity to test my orienteering and marking skills.  My new favorite catch phrase is below…I texted it to Gerry after about 2 hours of walking in circles.

“I’m not lost!!!
I know exactly where I am...
It’s just that I don’t know where the hell anything else is.”

Needless to say, when I had the opportunity to put a second hash mark in one of my broken arrow signs drawn in the dirt at one of the crossing deer trails…I realized I might need a refresher on how to use a map and a compass.  I think it was 1982 when I earned the BSA Orienteering merit badge…guess I have forgotten a few things.  Next trip to REI will include the purchase of couple of ball-compasses and a new map-compass.  Just a reminder, when buying map and ball compasses, make sure you check to see that they all line up before you leave the store.  Nothing worse than trying to remember if the one hanging from your back-pack strap is off 7 degrees NW or if that was the spare one you carry in your emergency kit as a back-up.

My 2 hour hike turned into about a 4 ½ hike…but ended well.  I found my way back to the beginning of the deer track that I had taken and finished out the hike strong.  God smiled on me and kept the rain away until I got back into the Jeep and headed home.  It was a great way to start the week.  Next Friday, I think I may see if Howard wants to go hike Grand Mere State Park.  I think that will be a nice change from the rocky trails he is used to down in Tennessee.  

Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment