Saturday, May 19, 2012

Would you like fries with that???


Getting ready for a hike at Potato Creek State Park.

This upcoming hike will be my longest hikes and my first long distance hike by myself.  My dad has to go to Graduation Ceremonies at Southwestern Michigan College so he won’t be able to go on this hike.   He told me that he thinks I am ready and this will be a good chance for me to hike with some other members of the team.  I’m not really nervous because I’ve picked up a lot of what’s been taught to me during our lectures and have listened and watched a lot of the other hikers during our past hikes with them.


Potato Creek is in north-central Indiana about 12 miles southwest of South Bend.  The park features a wide array of activities and facilities for year-round enjoyment.  It has a variety of natural habitats, including the 327-acre Worster Lake, old fields, mature woodlands, restored prairies and diverse wetlands.  Each offers unique opportunities for plant and wildlife observation.

Native peoples used the area for hunting and fishing.  The area’s first people of European descent settled here in the 1830s.

This week, Mr. Gunn will lecture on basic fuel needed to survive in the Grand Canyon.  I’m especially excited for this hike because I will get to test out my new pair of boots.  They felt great on the 6 mile hike that my dad and I did last week…so I am really looking forward to testing them out for real.  See you in 16 miles.

Charlie.

No comments:

Post a Comment