Thursday, May 31, 2012

20 mile Field Test with new gear…

Last Saturday my dad and I hiked our first 20 miler.  I missed the 19 miler the GC9 group had done the weekend before because I was sick.  We decided to hike a modified loop on the SMC Roadrunner Trails in Dowagiac.  We did the 6.7 mile loop three times.  I have to admit it was nice to be able to stop at the Student Activity Center after the first two loops and get a bag of M&M’s from the vending machine as a treat.  Since we were testing out some new gear we thought it best to stay close to civilization.  

 
Deuter ACT 32
I used my new Deuter ACT 32 pack and my new Platypus 3.0 liter Hydration bladder…and all I have to say is that both pieces of equipment ROCKED!!!  The pack worked great!!!  I didn’t leave with the shoulder cramps like I would get during past hikes when I used my regular school backpack.  It also has about twice the room, with half the weight, as the backpack that I was using before has.  I also found that it was really great to be able to “shift the load” by using the adjustment straps during the hike. 




Platypus Big Zip 3LHydration Reservoir

I wasn’t really sure about the Platypus 3.0 liter Hydration bladders that my dad picked out after his research…but, after using it on the trail…I found it worked great!!!  On the last few hikes I wasn’t drinking nearly as much water as I actually needed because it was a real pain in the butt to repeatedly take off my pack to get a water bottle every couple of miles.  This was a big concern as it could lead to dehydration, heat stroke, and the typical stuff like leg cramps and just general tiredness.   

Staying hydrated is priority number #1 when you are doing a lot outdoors.  With my hydration pack I was able to take a drink of water whenever I wanted too.  The Platypus 3.0 liter Hydration bladder is really easy to fill and clean also…I loved the fact that I could get ice into it when we were filling it before our hike with no problem.  I think it took my dad and me about 2 minutes to clean them after our hike and hang them to dry.  Keeping your gear clean and in order is extremely important and it always helps when your gear is designed to make it easy to do that.

I was really glad that my dad took me out for this hike.  I was a little worried about the Test Hike that we will be doing out at Devil’s Lake next week.  But now I know that I will be able to make it with no problem.  I think it is going to be a lot of fun...plus, chilling in the pool afterwards will be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment